We would like to welcome all of you that make your way to our little slice of internet-land and hope that you enjoy your stay.
The Gord & Jay Talk Art Podcast is exactly that. It is a simple podcast where two artists discuss their artistic journey with each other. We talk about the things we are working on, what we are learning, how we improve, how we have failed... Every aspect of our artistic pursuits is covered.
But before we start to get too waffley, let's introduce ourselves briefly-
My name is Gordon Mackay, I am an illustrator from Edinburgh in Scotland. I draw pretty much anything that takes my fancy. My goal is to carry on improving as an artist and have fun along the way. You can find some of my work at Gordon Mackay Illustration and I will be selling the odd thing on redbubble.com.
And my name is Jay Penn. I'm a freelance illustrator dealing mostly with fantasy, faerie and comic art. You can find my work over at Realms of Faerie. I also have an Etsy store, so go buy all of my stuff right away!
So anyway, here is the inaugural podcast episode- Right click here to download it.
We're on iTunes, too! There's a few kinks to iron out still, but if you have an iTunes account, you can go download the first podcast here. Don't forget to rate the podcast and subscribe to it too!
And we have a Facebook page too! You'll not forget to 'like' us, will you?
Finally, here are the show notes (links to stuff we talk about on the episode):
- The Will Kemp 'How to Paint a Portrait in Oil' online lesson that Jay mentioned is right here.
- The artists that Jay mentions are: Brian Froud, Rien Poortvliet, Dale Keown, Erik Larsen, Bart Sears, Frank Frazetta, Larry MacDougall, Alan Lee, Justin Gerard and Andrew Loomis.
- Gord mentions Frank Miller and Geof Darrow, Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell.
- Jay mentioned his old 8-page illustrated story called The Circle.
- The Tortoro picture Gord spoke of can be seen over at his own blog here.
We'll be back soon with the next episode very soon. Feel free to leave any comments, suggestions or marriage proposals below.